A lot of excessively kind and caring people will allow themselves to be pushed over by these selfish people because that’s just the way that they are.
So that’s why it’s important for you to keep your kindness and empathy in check when you get into a relationship. You don’t want to risk opening yourself up to being used as a doormat by a selfish partner. And in any case, getting into a relationship with a selfish individual only spells total dysfunction anyway. So do your best to completely avoid getting into a relationship with someone who is selfish. Otherwise, you will only be setting yourself up for utter abuse, manipulation, and disappointment at the hands of this selfish individual.
But how do you know for sure if a person is selfish? Sometimes, your feelings of love and affection can put blinders on you. You end up blinding yourself from the destructive tendencies of a selfish individual because you love them too much and you won’t realize how wrong things are until it’s too late. That’s why you should always stay vigilant in your relationship regardless of how much you love a person.
Here are some signs that you need to look out for in a selfish partner in a relationship.
1. They never let you see their weak and vulnerable side. They care too much about their egos to allow you to see that there is a weakness in them that you can potentially manipulate to your advantage. They never want to put themselves in such a compromising position.
2. They are going to feel entitled to everything that you have to give in a relationship. They will believe that they can control and manipulate every aspect of how you live your life just because you are in a relationship together. They think that they won’t have to work hard for your love and affection and that you should always be willing to give yourself to them on a silver platter.
3. They will be as stubborn as ever and they will have substantial difficult accepting the fact that they are wrong. They are very close-minded and it will take a lot of convincing for them to stray away from their traditional philosophy. They can be a struggle to argue with because they don’t respond well to dissent or criticism. They will dismiss anything that contradicts them.
4. They will be as charming and as affectionate as possible at the start of the relationship. They do this to win over your trust because they know that this is the only way they can end up in a position of power over you.
5. They will refuse to give their commitment to anything or anyone unless they know that they can benefit from it somehow.
6. They will be dismissive of your feelings and your opinions unless they know that it somehow impacts their own lives. Otherwise, they will show a substantial lack of interest in whatever it is you have to say.
7. They will have all the reasons and excuses in the world to get out of helping you with anything. They will refuse to put themselves at an inconvenience for your favor. The only time they would really ever help you out would be if it were convenient for them to do so.
8. They are going to be very unapologetic. They will refuse to take accountability for their actions whenever they do something wrong. They want to absolve themselves of any real responsibility whenever things start getting rough.