Numerous people all around the world suffer from neck or back pain at some point in life. The stiffness or pain in the neck and back make the neck weaker and heavier and lead to muscle cramps.
This pain is often a result of an injury, a degenerated vertebrae, strained muscles, hernia disc, or stenosis of the spine. Also, it can be caused by age, poor body posture, heavy loads, or folded back, as well as exercise, insomnia, and reading in bed.
The cause of back pain in 85% cases cannot be detected, and even magnetic resonance cannot provide a proper diagnosis. Back pain is usually acute for a month and can disappear without any treatment, but if it is chronic, it can last longer, and you need to find a proper cure or treatment.
The following tips can be of great help to treat the pain in the back:
– Try exercises and stretches to treat back pain, and avoid sitting for hours. Instead, stand up and move around occasionally.
– Pain may sometimes be caused by deformed and overused mattresses, so you should change yours if it is older than 5 years
– You should never sleep on the belly as this worsens the pain
– You should often go walking or running, and try hiking as well
– You should not lift or carry heavy loads, as this may cause an injury, or damage the joints of the spine.
– If you have small children, you should take the child in the arms, crouch and slowly lift it with the thigh muscles, not the back.
– In all activities, especially when carrying bags, babies, or brushing the teeth, bend the knees.
Furthermore, the shoulders are delicate and are also susceptible to damage. The pain in the shoulders may be caused by:
– Stiff shoulder
– Fracture of the bone on the hand
– Dislocation injury
– Unstable joints
On the other hand, the pain in the neck can also be acute, and last less than 4 months, or chronic, and last longer. It can be caused by:
– Damaged or stretched neck structures (tendon, ligament, muscle)
– Sedentary lifestyle
– Physical inactivity
– Bad posture for walking or sitting,
– bad sleeping position
The following tips can help you relieve neck pain:
– Reduce stress, as it causes various health issues, and try to relax, meditation, yoga, or everything that calms you.
– Try massages, as they relax the muscles
– Apply cold and hot compress on the aching areas on every few hours.
– Exercise regularly, and move the neck muscles in order to relax them.
You should change the position in which you sleep or the pillow. Feather pillows are soft for the head and neck. Also, memory foam pillows adapt on the neck and the head.
Avoid hard or high pillows as they cause stiffness of the neck.
If you sleep on one side, you should not curve the spine. Additionally, use a travel pillow when traveling, as well as proper joint support.