Glycerin can be made from vegetable oil, the most common method of making glycerin is to render animal fat. Glycerin is an organic compound composed of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen. This thick, colorless and odorless liquid is used extensively in the beauty industry for making soaps, antiaging gels and moisturizers.
Glycerin is a clear sweet liquid that can be purchased from any pharmacy or many other stores. Apart from the beauty industry, glycerin is used in drugs and pharmaceuticals, food sweetening and in the paper and printing industry.
Now that you know which glycerin is good for your body, read on to learn about the many ways you can use it.
1. Keeps Skin Moisturized
Glycerin is considered a great moisturizer for skin.
First of all, it is a great humectant, which means it attracts water or moisture from outside the skin and draws it in. Also, being an emollient, it helps hold all that moisture in by forming a protective layer over the skin. This in turn keeps it feeling soft, smooth and well-hydrated.
A 2002 study published in Acta Dermaco Venereologica found that a cream containing glycerin seemed to be a suitable alternative to a cream containing urea and sodium chloride in the treatment of atopic dry skin.
- Liberally apply glycerin on your skin, especially areas that are dry.
- Leave it on for a few hours.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Do this 2 or 3 times a week.
2. Makes Lips Soft
Whether you have chapped or dry lips, glycerin is the secret ingredient to enjoy soft and supple lips.
Plus, it can help get rid of dead skin, so that you can enjoy healthy, pink lips.
- Mix glycerin and rose water in equal amounts. Apply this mixture to your lips, a few times a day to keep them moisturized.
- Alternatively, mix lemon juice, honey and glycerin in equal amounts. Apply the mixture on your lips before going to bed each night to maintain soft and pink lips.