No matter why the relationship ended, you will have benefited in some way. Finding reasons to be grateful for your ex isn’t nearly as hard as you think. It actually helps ease the pain, at least a little.
1. It probably wasn’t all bad: While it may not seem like it straight away, when you look back at the relationship later on, you will see that there were good times, as well as the bad. Try and remember those, rather than just the fights or the bitterness, and the relationship will have seemed a whole lot more worthwhile.
2. You will be able to spot the signs quicker next time: The experience of a breakup can teach us many lessons and one of those is not to ignore the signs next time. Relationships rarely end completely out of the blue and, even if you chose to ignore them, the signs were probably there. Learn from this and, the next time, you will be able see these signs earlier, take control, faster and end the relationship, without wasting any time.
3. It will make you a stronger person: A split really does make you stronger. It will not only give you the emotional strength to handle relationships better, it will also help in your dealings with other people too.
4. It teaches you more about who you really want: Look closely at what you didn’t like about this guy and learn from the experience. You can be grateful to your ex for teaching you more about what this type of man is really like to spend time with and, from that, you will gain a better idea of the type of man that you are really looking for.
5. Be grateful that it ended when it did: However the relationship ended, there must have been reasons, and you can be grateful it ended when it did. How much worse would it have been if the relationship had continued for another five years and then the inevitable still happened?
6. He probably introduced you to new experiences: Think about the things that you wouldn’t have even tried if you had never met this guy. Most people introduce their partners to new things like music, food or hobbies, and some of them might stick with you for life.